Pole Dancing Inspiration: Interview with Leah Rose
Posted: Apr 06 2014
We always love talking to inspirational pole dancers and this month we catch up with Leah Rose who is a double winner, who won the professional category title in both the UKPPC and the Polenastics Uk Pole Championship in 2013...
1.You recently won the professional category at the UKPPC. How did you feel being a winner and have you taken part in any other competitions?
It was crazy! Just getting through to the finals was a huge achievement. The standard in my category was soo high. I also won the 2013 Polenastics Professional category last year.
2. How did you first get interested in pole dancing?
It was something I'd had my eye on for a while. I liked the fact that it had a bit of the "shock factor" back then and was still quite unknown, so I guess curiosity got the better of me. I found some classes, bought my first X-Pole (which I refuse to sell), and off I went.
3. What is it about pole dancing you enjoy the most?
That you can get an amazing workout whilst slinking around doing hair flicks in 7 inch heels and butt shorts. For me it beats any gym session.
4. What are the main fitness benefits of pole dancing and how has pole dancing improved your fitness, strength or body shape?
Pole has massively changed my body. I look back at old photos and the first thing I notice is how straight my arms were! My flexibility has also improved massively. Before pole I would never have thought about getting my foot to my head but now its all i think about.
5. Has pole dancing had an impact on anything else in your life such as giving your more confidence or making new friends?
I've met soo many awesome people through pole, including some of my closest friends, and love the opportunities and experiences this industry brings. Im a lot more determinted and focused now, and know that if you really want something and are prepared to work your butt off to get it, you will.
6. What are your 3 favourite pole moves and why?
I can never answer this question because it changes all the time! I love transitions so whatever new combo im working on is usually my favourite. Bodywaves, because they look awesome when done well and can be done almost anywhere. And shoulder rolls, because they`re sexy as hell :)
7. What are your favourite strength training moves on the pole and why?
Spinny pencils & pull ups, caterpillars, brass monkey lifts & Iron X. Together they give me a pretty good all over body work out.
8. Where would you like to see pole dancing in the future?
More sexy pole! I think its great that comps like Pole Theatre are giving people a platform to showcase the sexy side of pole and hopefully we will see a lot more support of that style of pole in the future. I'm also supporting the #polesafe #trainsafe #teachsafe campaign. The industry is growing so quickly with crazy new moves being created all the time, so we need to make sure we are encouraging our students development safely.
9. What pole performers do you admire or inspire you?
I love Alethea, Sarah Jade, and Eva Bembo for their sexyness. Jenyne and Bendy for their creativity and imagination, and Natalia Tatarintseva for her beautiful lines.
10. What would you say to someone who is thinking of trying pole dancing for the first time to convince them to give it a go?
Do it! You don't have to be strong or thin or flexible or any other reasons I hear non polers give. It's such a fun and invigorating form of exercise that you will get addicted to very quickly :)
11. Three words that sum up pole dancing for you
Inspiring, Powerful, Sexy