With doubles becoming ever more popular within the pole dance community we talk to the amazing world champions Lisette Krol & Terri Walsh from Ireland...
1.You recently won the doubles category at the World Pole Dance Competition. How did you feel being a winners and what other titles do you hold?
We are delighted to have won 1st place! It really was a dream of ours to win this competition as so many amazing athletes have inspired us competing at this championships before.
We currently hold the following titles:
World Pole Dance & Fitness Doubles Champions 2014
World Pole Sports Doubles Champions 2013
All Ireland Champion & Runner up Solo 2013
Irish Pole Fitness & Dance Champion 2013
UKPPC Runner up Solo 2013
All Ireland Champion & Runner up Solo 2012
World Pole Dance Semi-Finalist 2012
We met performing at Dublin Gay Pride around 3 years ago. We decided to skill share Acrobalance and Pole, the perfect mix for Doubles.
3. How did you first get interested in pole dancing?
Terri: I saw an advertisement for Pole Classes in Dublin and after my first class I fell in love! I did one course and they asked me to start teaching for them, so I trained with the instructor and started training myself too. From here I started teaching for two different dance companies before setting up my own :-)
Lisette: I saw Terri in the festival and instantly love the the idea of going upside down in a pole and thats how my pole journey started.
4. What is it about pole dancing and doubles in particular that you enjoy the most?
We love Pole because it makes us stronger, better dancers and is so much fun. Doubles in particular is exciting because you create a bond with your partner and learn trust, balance and it's so infinite what 2 bodies can create.
5. What are the main fitness benefits of pole dancing and how has pole dancing improved your fitness, strength or body shape?
Pole Dancing is amazing for general fitness, toning your body, strength, flexibility and body awareness. Both of us have found that we are fitter than ever before. And it makes our shoulders look good! LOL! x
6. Has pole dancing had an impact on anything else in your life such as giving your more confidence or making new friends?
Definitely both. Teaching and performing made us so much more confident and more assertive in our lives. Once you teach a class and perform in front of a crowd it is impossible to be shy. We are constantly making new friends through pole (and Facebook lol) and these are friends for life.
7. What are your 3 favourite pole moves?
Handsprings, Drops and Doubles; especially our new Allegra Starfish! :)
8. What are your favourite strength training moves on the pole and why?
Human Flags, Hand over Hand climb, anything involving shoulder mount and planking!
9. Where would you like to see pole dancing in the future?
We would love to see pole officially recognised in the Olympics one day. It would also be great to see Pole more involved in the Circuses as well as Chinese Pole.
10. What pole performers do you admire or inspire you?
Zoraya Judd, Jenyne Butterfly, Marlo Fisken, Felix Cane and Pantera. We have watched these girls for so many years and there are too many others to name!
11. What would you say to someone who is thinking of trying pole dancing for the first time to convince them to give it a go?
DO IT!!!! It will be the best thing you will ever do! :) xxx
12. Three words that sum up pole dancing for you. E.g Beautiful. Artistic. Powerful.
Empowering, Artistic, Impressive!!!