Interview with Lorna Thomas - Miss Pole Dance 2013 Winner
Posted: Sep 19 2013
After an action packed weekend at the Miss Pole Dance and Mr Pole Fitness Competition we are lucky enough to talk to one of the amazing winners, Lorna Thomas.
1. You recently won the Women’s Pro category at the Miss Pole Dance 2013 Competition. How did you feel being a winner?
I am still in complete shock about Sunday. I cant quite get my head round it, I’m not sure how it's happened and keep thinking I'll wake up any moment.
2. How did you first get interested in pole dancing?
I first started pole dancing 6 years ago. I wanted to give it a try as I assumed it would be strutting around in high heels, shaking my booty. I lacked a lot of confidence and wanted to empower my femininity.
3. What is it about pole dancing that you enjoy the most?
I love the freedom of pole dancing. Pole dancing allows me to express how I'm feeling. I love music and just adore dancing to music that moves me.
4. What are the main fitness benefits of pole dancing and how has pole dancing improved your fitness, strength or body shape?
Pole Dancing is an all over body workout, aerobic and anaerobic. It helps build strength, stamina, cardio fitness and body confidence. I’m not a gym freak and hate exercise if I’m honest, but pole dancing doesn’t feel like a workout until the next day. My body has changed drastically over the past 6 years. I now weigh more than I ever have and I put that down to muscle. I’m strong, flexible and fit, it's a great feeling.
5. Has pole dancing had an impact on anything else in your life such as giving your more confidence or making new friends? Pole dancing has changed my life completely. I've ever been a confident person and now I have over 80 girls who are part of Pole Athletes, that I considered my family. My social life is hectic keeping up with them all. I’ve never been happier then when we go on a 'pole night out' and there's so many amazing women around me, I feel truly blessed to have them in my life.
6. What are your 3 favourite pole moves and why?
My three favourite pole moves are An Allegra/jade variation, its not a particularly advanced move but I love the feeling of having my toe near my head and laying back into it, Its a very relaxing move in a strange way. I also love the Chinese Flag, I mastered this move about 18 months ago and it's the ultimate strength move, it feels great to bust it out and watch people’s mouths open. Finally anything to do with the back of my right knee. I’m quite lucky to have some strange super strength there and have often been nickname 'queen of the back of the knee grips' by a lot of my friends, I could hang on it all day in any position.
7. What are your favourite strength training moves on the pole and why?
My favourite strength training moves are a combination of lots of condition moves, including straight leg lifts, shoulder mount planks, pull ups, I like anything that makes me shake and burns my muscles.
8. Where would you like to see pole dancing in the future? I would like to see pole dancing as an accepted art form, it's slowly getting there but I wish it was used more in circuses and shows.
9. What pole performers do you admire or inspire you? My 3 favourite pole idols are, Felix Cane, Jenyne Butterfly and Alethea Austin. They all have phenomenal stage presence and I just get lost when I'm watching them, they are so captivating.
10. What would you say to someone who is thinking of trying pole dancing for the first time to convince them to give it a go? - Just let go of any inhibitions you have and try not to form any preconceptions. What you will gain from your first lesson will change your life.
11. Three words that sum up pole dancing for you.
Empowering, hard work, expressive
Watch Lorna's winning performance here